Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.  

As a life long learner I am always gaining and seeking knowledge on the subjects that I teach as well as other important topics and world events. In 2018 I graduated from UNBC with a Bachelor of Arts with a major in History and a minor in English. I have a vast knowledge base and am always willing to learn and explore new things. I take every learning opportunity I can find! An example of a learning opportunity that I was able to experience in during my Bachelor of Arts was an experiential learning opportunity at North Pacific Cannery near Prince Rupert BC. Twenty history students and one professor lived at the North Pacific Cannery for a week going through the basically untouched archives from the cannery. This was a highlight of my history degree as learning (especially history) happens by looking at digital archives or reprints of primary sources. This was the first time I had access to primary sources that very few people had even seen before. I also had a wonderful time collaborating with my classmates and professor as we all stayed and worked in the same bunkhouse for the week.

North Pacific Cannery when I visited it in the summer of 2017. A group of students and one professor from UNBC were given access to explore the basically untouched archives from the cannery and create and gather resources for the cannery to present to the public.

In 2018 I was asked to be the youth representative for Northern BC on behalf of Big Brothers Big Sisters Canada. I had been a big sister and youth mentor for 2 years at the time and was invited to participate in their youth panel as I am passionate about youth engagement in programming and the community. As part of the youth panel I attended the conference and spoke about my experience with Big Brothers Big Sisters and improvements that could be made to programming to make it more diverse and inclusive. The youth panel was made up of other young women aged 15-24. It was amazing learning from the inspiring young women at the conference as I was one of the older representatives. I learned so much about youth in our communities and the challenges facing those most vulnerable. This experience was a great learning opportunity as I met so many different people and had the opportunity to speak in front of more than 500 people about how they can better diversify their mentoring programs.