Good Teaching is More a Giving of Right Questions than a Giving of Right Answers

Coding With Primary Students

Today we had another presentation by the wonderful Sandra McAuley. We learned about quite a few resources that would help with computational thinking in the classroom. Specifically I found that some of her examples were perfect for primary students. My favourite resource that Sandra showed to us was called Coding Hopscotch. Coding Hopscotch used computational thinking skills by acting like a series of codes using directional pieces on the ground. Students would follow these arrows and symbols on the ground to to make their way to the end of the piece of code. It is my hope to use these cards in my grade one practicum this winter. Check out the pictures below to see all of the fun we had  with Sandra and Coding Hopscotch!

1. Taylor deSousa

This is such a great way to integrate coding into primary grades! Simple, easy, and interactive! I think our Kindergarten’s and Grade 1’s are going to love this if we integrate it into our practicum! I love how you mentioned they are developing their computational thinking skills without even realizing it. Personally, I think that is the best type of learning when students are having fun and being interactive while still developing skills and knowledge.